Thursday, May 2, 2013

Queen Luise Dress

This post was first published 28 September 2011

For JAFA2011 I made the  Queen Luise dress from  Nehelenia Patterns (NP403).  It came together pretty quickly and I'm really happy with it.

I had to alter the pattern a bit by lowering the waistline by 1 inch - this might be because I wasn't wearing period undergarments, or because I'm tall.  Not sure.  I also had a bit of trouble with the sleeves as there wasn't much guidance on how to put them in.  I lined up the sleeve seam with the approximate point where the bodice 'side seam' would be if there was one and put the gathering between the shoulder seam and the top of the shoulder.

I made the dress from a lovely soft cotton voile (Swiss, I think) with cotton/linen for the bodice lining, and a strip of silk satin for the waistband.  I found some nice lace in the cupboard for the bodice insert which decorates it a bit and I made a sash from pink silk satin.  I've retained the short train so it's not a dance dress, but it's actually not as impractical as I thought it might be.  I added an underskirt from a more substantial polycotton (ugh, but I was in a hurry) because it seemed easier than making a proper petticoat (I really need to get around to making one eventually).

The only downside: I had a go of doing handsewn buttonholes and I think they look ugly : (

No comments:

Post a Comment