Thursday, May 2, 2013

18th Century Plans

This post was first published 16 March2011

While in Europe in the second half of last year I made it to as many costume museums as I could (given the rarity of such places in Australia).  I saw lots of gorgeous things, but I found that the period that was appealing to me most was the late 18th century.  Re-watching The Duchess and Marie Antoinette helped, too.  It's a bit odd, since I previously thought the period was mostly just weird and artificial looking, but now I think it's awesome.  I think it could have a lot to do with pretty fabrics, stripes and ruffles.  At this stage I'm definitely leaning towards the last couple of decades of the century as I haven't been feeling like too much frilliness and panniers, and the construction seems more straightforward.  Well, we'll see how we go, maybe I'll be able to ease myself into the more outlandish styles gradually.

Of the museums I went to, I think I enjoyed the Brede Vaerk Museum in Copenhagen the most - lots of gorgeous costumes, and well displayed.  We managed to fit in a trip to London for 5 days and I was really looking forward to going to the V&A (I'd been before, but before I was really into costuming) only to discover when we arrived that the fashion section was closed for renovation.  Serves me right, I'm sure I could've found that out before we went.  But there were still a couple of gorgeous chintz dresses out.  The Museum of London had a great exhibition on, which I think I'd even read about before we left, with 18th and 19th century garments displayed with modern millinery.  It was very cool, although the display was a bit frustrating since it was quite dark and you couldn't see back views or anything.  Anyway, some of the photos I took are on flickr but I should put more up, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment