Thursday, May 2, 2013

Adventures in Patterns


This post was originally published on 24 May 2012.

I've only just started venturing into independent modern pattern companies.  I'd seen the Colette patterns at the local fabric shop but wasn't sure how good they'd look from looking at the illustrations.  Then I saw some pictures online and decided to give them a go.  I even found some perfect fabric (on sale!) to do a Rooibos, but I when went to to the shop the only dress pattern they had was Ceylon.  I decided to try it anyway, which was possibly not the best idea, given how many pieces it has - it probably wasn't going to be that quick to whip up just to see how I like the pattern company.
Ceylon by Colette Patterns
However! All went well.  I love the cute booklet and the clear instructions. The slightly unusual construction of the yoke went together beautifully and the finished product is comfortable and flattering.  I now know which sizes fit me and that I can probably get away with less fabric than the pattern says.
So now I want more! But where to start?
  • I already have the fabric for Rooibos
  • Macaron looks really  sweet, though it seems like finding a perfect mix of fabrics is hard

  • The Beignet skirt looks really versatile and a good change from dresses

  • I want some high-waisted shorts like Iris (though I don't need them, having bought 3 pairs of shorts last summer...)
I wasn't that inspired by the Sewaholic patterns - Lonsdale is a bit angular for me, and I'm not that enthused by sewing tops.  But the other day I saw the Cambie dress and I LOVE it, so I'm very willing to be converted.
And on top of those...
I want some lightweight pants for our trip to Turkey, so I should start that.
I also have some Liberty fabric to do a skirt, plus a couple more pieces I haven't decided what to do with.
Plus I love this patttern.
And this dress, which could work with the Burda pattern I've used a few times.
Oh, and this dress.
Not enough time! So many patterns to buy, and make!

No comments:

Post a Comment